The Many Faces of… Gary Oldman

Another week, another “The Many Faces of…” installment (each Friday another actor/actrees). This week’s choice is Gary Oldman. Thinking that Samuel L. Jackson had many faces in his movies I was completely stunned by the way Gary Oldman looks in the movies he has done. He truly is a chameleon. Looking at his roles it’s very surprising that he never was nominated for an Oscar. He started his career on the stage doing theatre for which he won several awards. His first movie role was in 1982′s Remembrance. His breakthrough in Hollywood came after he played Lee Harvey Oswald in JFK.

What is your favorite Gary Oldman role (mine is his role in Leon though, the way he plays this completely crazy cop is very memorable)?

Other entries in this series:

• FlimsrRuss (@FilmsrRuss) says:

I’m not sure about my favourite role, but I am looking forward to seeing him in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

August 26, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Yeah, he looks awesome in that last picture…

August 26, 2011 at 2:18 pm
  • Mark says:

Agree with @FilmsrRuss Tinker Tailer Soldior Spy is looking very good.

Really like these weekly images you are posting. Good to see the roles of some big actors as I had forgotten about most of there roles.

August 26, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Fun to hear that they are enjoyed and I’m surprised by some of their roles sometimes. Next week I will pick an actress….

August 26, 2011 at 2:19 pm
  • Scott Lawlor says:

hmmm DOn’t make me choose a role. I loved him in Leon. But to be honest I haven’t disliked him in anything really!!

Love this series Nostra

August 26, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Come on Scott, just pick one….nobody will judge you on picking your favorite…or do you feel it’s like choosing your favorite child? ;)

Thanks a lot, it’s fun to do and it’s something people love seeing if I look at the visits for these articles…

August 26, 2011 at 5:13 pm
      • Scott Lawlor says:

OK OK I loved him in Leon….nasty nasty man!! (the character not you)

August 27, 2011 at 8:08 am

Hahaha, good to know your choice…I will sleep better now because of it ;)

August 27, 2011 at 12:03 pm
  • markuswelby1 says:

One of my favorites to be sure! He can be something different in every role he chooses which I think is rare for actors. Guys like Matthew Mcconaughey could not be able to do what Gary does. He’s a total chameleon.

August 26, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I don’t see Matthew Mcconaguhey doin that. He seems to play about the same rol. Gary is really amazing when it comes to it. A friend of mine called him the British John Malkovich. Don’t know whether that is accurate so I guess I will also have to do a “Many Faces of…” starring him somewhere in the future.

August 27, 2011 at 12:05 pm
  • 5plitreel says:

Great post. He looks real creepy in some though.
    Not to be rude but he’s got one of those junkie-faces. You know, hollow, big eyes.

August 27, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Hahaha, I don’t share that opinion about his looks. Yes, he looks really creepy in some, especially in SIlence of the Lambs…

August 27, 2011 at 2:19 pm
  • FlimsrRuss (@FilmsrRuss) says:

Hannibal? I haven’t seen it, but I don’t remember him being in Silence of the Lambs.

August 27, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Yes, you are right…it was Hannibal, I remembered it incorrectly.

August 27, 2011 at 11:10 pm
  • Castor says:

Can you believe this guy doesn’t even have an Oscar nomination yet? Tough to choose my favorite role of his (so many I love), I would probably select his character in Leon.

August 28, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Can’t understand it either, he’s such an amazing actor! Let’s hope he will get one soon as he deserves it.

Lot of votes for Leon, which of course is an amazing movie. One of the few I have given a 10/10

August 28, 2011 at 8:23 pm
  • Tyler says:

I thought he was bloody brilliant in Leon. Completely blew me away. has to be his best performance!

August 28, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Just imagine meeting a cop like this in real life….

August 28, 2011 at 9:10 pm
  • rtm says:

Great pick, Nostra, Oldman is such a chameleon it’s fun to find all the different look he’s sporting in various movies! Leon is one of my fave of his roles, I’d also mention Dracula, Beethoven in Immortal Beloved and of course Gordon in Nolan’s Batman films. I hope you don’t mind a bit of plug to my tribute to Oldman a while back: Chat-Worthy Thespian: Gary Oldman http://wp.me/pxXPC-2YP

August 29, 2011 at 4:03 am

I don’t mind at all, it’s a great article!

August 29, 2011 at 8:39 am
  • Lesya says:

Planet 51 for sure!
    Just kidding.
    He was terrific in Leon, but I really love his role as Gordon in Nolan’s take on Batman world.

August 29, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Knowing how big a fan you are of Nolan’s movies it’s no surprise you chosen him in his role of Gordon :)

August 29, 2011 at 12:44 pm
  • Claire Packer says:

Like Ruth said, Oldman really is a chameleon! I’d have to go for his performance in Leon, too. Other favourites would be Gordon in the Batman series and Drexl in True Romance – just because he looks/sounds so different!

August 30, 2011 at 7:28 pm

It seems that Leon is almost everyone’s favorite, but the cast in that movie really was excellent. Portman also had a very memorable role in it.

Yeah, I can’t remember much from True Romance, but just the way he looks makes sure that I hadn’t forgotten that character!

August 30, 2011 at 8:43 pm
      • Claire Packer says:

Leon is a great movie. I remember it as being a good movie and when I watched the other week – the first time in a while – I was not disappointed.

If you look at Oldman’s roles – great graphic by the way! – you see what a versatile actor he is. What film is it where he’s in the orange hat?

August 30, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Thanks, make sure you also check the other ones I made for Samuel L. Jackson and Tom Hanks. Next one this friday is going to be an actress.

That picture is from Nobody’s Baby…

August 30, 2011 at 9:36 pm

So agree with your comment about Gary Oldman being a chameleon. He really gives his characters everything and remains one of the best the west has to offer.

September 4, 2011 at 6:25 am

Yes, he is!

September 4, 2011 at 9:14 am
  • Saahil Dama (@PsychoCritic) says:

Stansfield in Leon. Brilliant.

September 19, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Welcome to the My Filmviews blog and it’s nice to see another person choosing his role in Leon!

September 19, 2011 at 8:39 pm