Schindler’s List (1993)

There are some movies which you know you really have to see, but somehow never had. The reason I didn’t watch Schindler’s List before was mainly because of its heavy subject matter and it’s length. Before you watch it you already know it’s going to be tough to watch and that you won’t be feeling very happy afterwards. It might have taken some years, but now I finally have seen it and what an amazing piece of cinema it is.

Schindler’s list is about the true story of Oskar Schindler (Liam Neeson), a German businessman who wants to make a fortune during the Second World War. He’s very close to the nazis and knows how to become friends with various important people in the army. This allows him to set up a factory. When he hears Jews are the cheapest workforce he decides to get a whole lot of them out of the ghetto of Warsaw. As the war progresses he slowly finds out what happens to the Jews in the concentration camps and starts to care more for them, which means he has to walk a fine line between being friends with the nazis and following his own agenda.

Spielberg really has delivered one of his masterpieces with Schindler’s List. The way that it is shot is beautiful. Most of the movie is in black and white, but some scenes have a color added to it, like the opening scene or a scene in the ghetto where the red jacket of a little girl makes her stand out. The way the sets look, like that Warsaw ghetto is impressive (after having seen the documentary A Film Unfinshed a while ago).

Of course a movie comes alive through its story and the way the characters are played by the actors. Liam Neeson is very good as Oskar Schindler, a character who is greedy and you really won’t like through a bit part of the movie, but Neeson slowly manages to show what is going on under his skin. Ben Kingsley plays Itzhak Stern, who is the bookkeeper for Schindler and makes him a wise, but very scared individual who knows that any day could be his last. Ralph Fiennes however stands out most as the nazi Amon Goeth. Goeth is an unpredictable and very scary character who will randomly shoot people. You never know if he’s on to you or if he can be trusted. That tension is constantly present when dealing with Schindler and Fiennes makes him frightening, but also shows that within this horrible man there is a lot of insecurity.

Schindler’s List is an important document about the things that happened during the Second World War. With the final shots Spielberg manages to pull the movie into reality, making it something you will not forget.

• Claire Packer says:

I completely agree with your first sentence: I haven’t seen this film either but I want to and I know I should.

I’ll get it watched and then we can compare!

October 31, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Yeah you should check it out. Interested to see what you think.

October 31, 2011 at 11:48 pm
  • scarletsp1der says:

Glad that you finally watched this and reviewed it. I avoided it for so long and finally watched it. I almost pressed “stop” 3 times in the film during moments that just struck me.

Was glad to read that Robin Williams visited Spielberg on set several times during filming and provided free comedy shows in order to lighten everyone’s hearts and moods!

November 1, 2011 at 3:31 am

Yeah, so hard to watch, but knowing it’s reality based it’s something that needs to be seen.

That’s interesting info, didn’t know that!

November 1, 2011 at 1:04 pm
  • rtm says:

I really think this is still Neeson’s best role. I haven’t seen this in a while but I remember being really affected by this. That red jacket scene was astounding, I was practically bawling watching that one.

November 2, 2011 at 3:55 am

Neeson’s pretty good in all the roles he plays, but I agree he was amazing in this one. It is a very sad movie, so I can completely understand that!

November 2, 2011 at 8:26 am

He’s always good in a lot of films but lately his films seem I dunno, frivolous? I mean compared to this one Taken is mindless fun.

November 2, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Well, not each of them has to be a masterpiece! I really enjoyed his action movies…

November 2, 2011 at 9:49 pm
  • Rodney says:

Such an essential film – both Neeson and Feinnes are towering in their respective roles in this. I recently watched a doco about the daughter of Amon Goeth meeting with one of the survivors of his death camp – the daughter of one of the people portrayed in the film – and it was truly harrowing stuff.

This film should be essential viewing in schools, if only to show kids what happened back when evil rose up in the world.

November 2, 2011 at 6:31 am

Wow, what was that documentary called? Would be interesting in seeing that.

Yes, as there aren’t many survivors left anymore because of their age it is necessary that this movie is watched. When I was in school a holocaust survivor came to our school and told he stories and showed us the tattoo they had given him. It’s something you don’t forget.

November 2, 2011 at 8:29 am
      • Rodney says:

The doco was entitled “Inheritance”, and a bit more info on it can be found here: http://www.pbs.org/pov/inheritance/

It’s not easy to watch, but it’s deserves to be seen. It really highlights how the legacy of your deeds in life can haunt those who come after – the kids, especially…..

November 3, 2011 at 11:46 am

Thanks, will try to get a hold of it.

November 5, 2011 at 2:26 pm
  • Saahil Dama (@PsychoCritic) says:

I agree with your first paragraph there. That’s the reason I haven’t seen the movie either. First thing tonight, though.

November 2, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Let me know what you think of it!

November 2, 2011 at 9:50 pm
  • Stevee says:

This is my second favourite movie ever. I watched it again last night and it’s just such an amazing masterpiece. Ralph Fiennes’ performance as Amon Goeth is my favourite performance of all-time, also. He is so scary. Liam Neeson is great, also.

I’ll always love this movie. I thought it would be quite boring because of it’s run-time when I first saw it, but I was so wrong. It’s an essential piece of cinema. Glad you liked it!

November 15, 2011 at 6:54 am

So what is your all time favorite movie?

November 16, 2011 at 9:20 am
      • Stevee says:

Memento :)

November 16, 2011 at 10:16 am

That is a great movie (one of the few movies I gave a 10/10)

November 16, 2011 at 10:18 am
  • pf mnisi says:

where can I get a copy of the movie?

July 23, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Buy it on amazon or stream it…

July 25, 2013 at 6:31 am
  • Ovyx Zavyd says:

I am also among you people who avoided to see this because of it’s length and heavy subject.But when i finally saw it,i was totally blown away.
    and here is my review:

November 17, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Yeah, it is stunning isn’t it. Thanks for your comment Ovyx!

November 19, 2013 at 12:36 pm