The Many Faces of… Philip Seymour Hoffman

The Many Faces of... Philip Seymour Hoffman

I’m saddened to hear that Oscar winner Philip Seymour Hoffman unexpectedly passed away. He started acting in 1991. Initially in TV shows, but looking at his movie history he has been part of some well known movies like Twister, The Big Lebowski, Magnolia, Punch-Drunk Love, 25th Hour, The Ides of March and Moneyball. A great actor who will be missed.

The Many Faces of... Philip Seymour Hoffman

I like the fact that he’s done very small movies, but didn’t shy away from blockbusters like Mission Impossible either. My favorite role is the one in Charlie Wilson’s War, where he plays Gust Avrakotos. He’s so good in this and funny as well:

What’s your favorite Philip Seymour Hoffman role?

• Scott Lawlor says:

I do love PSH, although I couldn’t really pin down a favourite role, he is so good in everything I have seen him in, most recently Ides, where he was stunning and lit the screen when ever he was on it

November 4, 2011 at 12:12 pm

He was very good in Ides, really have to get around writing a review for that!

November 5, 2011 at 2:32 pm

One of the very few true-blue character actors in Hollywood. He can almost do any role if he puts his mind to it. Great actor.

November 4, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Yeah, he seems to fit in any role…

November 5, 2011 at 2:33 pm
  • Max says:

Hoffman is one of my favorite actors today. He has been in countless roles, his most recent I’ve seen him in being ‘Moneyball’ and ‘Ides of March’. You didn’t mention it in your paragraph, but his most acclaimed role was for ‘Capote’. He was awesome in that as well. Oh, and ‘Almost Famous’. He played a radio critic and mentor to the lead character.

November 4, 2011 at 6:09 pm

He’s very good. I did see Capote and he really owned that role. Have never seen Almost Famous..

November 5, 2011 at 2:34 pm
  • Jack Deth says:

Hi, Nostra and company:

Phillip Seymour Hoffman has always struck me as a shorter, wider, dumpier version of John C. McGinley. An actor who is very comfortable in any role given him. With the confidence to add or lose weight or facial hair and often play against type. That he pulls it off so easily speaks volumes to his talent and ability.

His role in ‘Red Dragon’ as tabloid reporter, Freddy Lounds is memorable. Steven Lange immerses himself just a bit more slimily. Though Hoffman steals ‘Charley Wilson’s War’ from Tom Hanks.

November 4, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I was wondering who John C. McGinley was, but after googling him I immediately recognised him. He’s good too!

Agree about Wilson’s War!

November 5, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Nicely done, Nostra. Hoffman is one of my favorite actors, and he has had so many great roles over the years. It’s hard to pick favorites, but I really enjoyed him in Capote, Punch Drunk Love and Almost Famous, to name a few.

November 4, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Thanks Eric! He has had so many great roles, don’t blame you for not being able to decide on one!

November 5, 2011 at 2:36 pm
  • scarletsp1der says:

Man! Hoffman is in so much!! I don’t know that I have a favorite of his! Although, I will say that I did enjoy his performance in Cold Mountain!! He had me laughing so much!

Has anyone got a good review for Jack Goes Boating??

November 6, 2011 at 3:00 am

It’s hard to choose with such an amazing actor! Can’t remember much of Cold Mountain myself. Jack Goes Boating didn’t seem like a movie I’d like so I skipped that one.

November 7, 2011 at 9:56 am
  • Amy says:

I also really enjoy Hoffman! The one film I didn’t get was Happiness. It’s had critical acclaim but I just couldn’t get into it and ended up turning it off half way through because it made me feel so very uncomfortable. I love your “The Many Faces Of..” posts, I always forget gems that I haven’t seen in ages!

November 6, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Looking at the cover of Happiness it seems like one of those movies that’s been made for a specific audience and won’t be liked by everyone.

Thanks, great to hear you enjoy them. I know you are not the only one! :)

November 7, 2011 at 9:58 am
  • Colin says:

Owning Mahowny, for me, is his best role. So much so that I actually watched it again after seeing this article, so cheers for the reminder.

November 6, 2011 at 6:48 pm

You’re welcome Colin!

November 7, 2011 at 9:58 am
  • Tyler says:

Love this guy in everything but it is his work with Paul Thomas Anderson that takes the cake. His performances in BOOGIE NIGHTS and MAGNOLIA are two that I love to pieces. All kinds of brilliant. Cannot wait for THE MASTER in the coming years!!!

November 6, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Magnolia is amazing, having seen it mentioned really makes me want to rewatch that!

November 7, 2011 at 9:59 am
  • rtm says:

I haven’t seen too many of his films but of the ones I have he’s really, really good. Nice choice, Nostra!

November 7, 2011 at 6:36 am

Time to change that and watch more of him ;)

November 7, 2011 at 9:59 am