The Many Faces of… Robert De Niro

Another Friday and a new installment in this weekly series. This week actor Robert De Niro. He was born on August 17, 1943 and didn’t start acting in 1963 (although the movie wasn’t released until 1969). His career really started in 1973. It didn’t take long for him to appear in a big movie though as he starred as Vito Corleone in the second Godfather movie in 1974, for which he won an Oscar. Now that’s a good start of your career.
He appeared in close to 90 movies, so picking out a favorite for this actor is going to be a tough one.

The Many Faces of...Robert de Niro

Now I think most of you agree that De Niro’s movie choices have been great the last couple of years. There was a time when you could blindly go into one of his movies and know it was going to be great, but it seems that time is behind us. As for picking out a favorite, it’s almost impossible and I’ve decided that I really can’t and will narrow it down to 5 roles. I loved him in Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas, Heat and Cape Fear.

Click here for other entries in “The Many Faces of…” series

What is your favorite Robert de Niro role?

• bibliopirate says:

He is a fine actor, I’d probably lead towards Casino as my favorite.

January 20, 2012 at 5:22 am

The first thing I remember from that role is the crazy colors of the suits. Great pick

January 20, 2012 at 12:06 pm
  • Emil says:

I’d have to go with what is probably a common answer: Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver. Such a fascinating character, and a chilling performance.

January 20, 2012 at 10:11 am

That is an amazing performance. It has been quite a while since I last saw him in that. The mirror scene is iconic.

January 20, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I haven’t seen his classics, in fact the’re sitting on my sky box waiting to be seen. Raging Bull, Taxi Driver. Sadly, the best I think I’ve seen him in is Ronin. Which I loved, but don’t think that’s the best of him.

January 20, 2012 at 10:42 am

Jaina, I slightly envy you as you still got some great movies to experience for the first time! I really loved Ronin, it has one of the best car chases ever!

January 20, 2012 at 12:08 pm
  • FlimsrRuss (@FilmsrRuss) says:

He is great in Taxi Driver and Goodfellas, but I really love him in Godfather part 2. I know that’s not necessarily counted as his film, but he’s so effortlessly brilliant as the the young Vito Corleone.

January 20, 2012 at 2:36 pm

It’s been way too long since I have seen the Godfather movies, I should try rewatching them sometime this year.

January 20, 2012 at 5:35 pm
  • Max says:

I’ve seen a lot of his classic roles. Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, Raging Bull, and Godfather 2. But the one I’m going to mention right now is Stardust. He owns the small part he appears in that movie playing a pirate that likes to play dress up. If you like De Niro, try to find Stardust. You won’t be disappointed.

January 20, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Max, I’ve actually seen Stardust and that was a funny cameo, and very weird at the same time.

January 20, 2012 at 5:34 pm
  • rtm says:

I actually haven’t seen a whole lot of De Niro films but of the ones I did he’s indeed excellent. His cameo in Stardust is actually kind of fun, though he made me cringe in those Fockers movies, ahah. Great pick Nostra!

January 20, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Yeah, I can’t enjoy those movies much either, but I suggest you check out some of his earlier work Ruth, some excellent movies to still be enjoyed!

January 24, 2012 at 11:50 am
  • Jack Deth says:

Hi, Nostra and company:

Robert De Niro is a gifted actor whose best work is decades old. Hitting his zenith under Coppola and Scorsese’s guidance. Most notably in ‘Godfather 2. Scorsese’s ‘ B&W ‘Raging Bull’ and the ‘Gangster Trilogy.’ Then only getting a close glimpse of that bravura and notoriety in Michael Mann’s ‘Heat’.

Nor has De Niro aged well, honed his talents or sought roles worthy of those talents. Applying his name to questionable franchises and projects whose requirements are no more than light weight, phoned in performances.

January 20, 2012 at 7:05 pm

It’s a shame that his best work is behind him, but I still have hopes he’ll in appear something really worth watching.

January 24, 2012 at 11:52 am

Nice post, Nostra. De Niro has certainly had a storied career, though many of his recent roles have been depressing. It’s tough to pick a favorite role from him, though I am partial to that of Travis Bickle. I also really enjoyed his turn in The Godfather II, which I just saw recently.

January 20, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Thanks Eric. Travis Bickle is a great pick, that performance is stunning with him doing some classic lines there. Godfather 2 is also great.,

January 24, 2012 at 11:53 am
  • The Focused Filmographer says:

De Niro! Great choice here today! You know he held the record for the most weight gained for a role when he put on 60lbs for Raging Bull. (a few years later Vincent D’onofrio took that title when he put on 70lbs for the role of Private “Gomer Pyle” in Full Metal Jacket).

I want to see some more good roles from De Niro!

January 20, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Yeah, I forgot to mention that T, that’s a really impressive statistic. I’m in the same boat as you, hopefully we will see them!

January 24, 2012 at 11:54 am
  • Matt Stewart says:

Raging Bull for me, hands down. Kind of a cliche answer but what a performance he gave! I think a performance that is very good of his is in “Guilty by Suspicion”. A movie that is generally overlooked by pretty much everyone.

Great choice, I have high hopes for De Niro in Being Flynn!

January 21, 2012 at 10:15 am

No suprise there Matt with the image you use for your avatar. It’s been way too long since I last saw it. I even bought the DVD ages ago as I was planning to rewatch it, but still have not done that. I must say that I never heard of Guilty by Suspicion till I made this list, so I guess it’s one to check out.

January 24, 2012 at 11:55 am
  • Castor says:

Tough one because he used to be in so many great movies. I would say my favorite of his is Heat. Just a great film and both Pacino and De Niro are at the top of their games.

January 21, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Yeah, seeing that at the cinema is something I will always remember, especially the sound of the shooting after the robbery. Classic movie moment and of course that conversation of these two greats at the table.

January 24, 2012 at 11:57 am
  • Russell_Oz says:

Great instalment!

Robert De Niro is a heavyweight in the Hollywood legend stakes!

My favourite performances are ‘Goodfellas’, ‘Heat’, and Godfather II. His early body of work is just brilliant and is why he is still taken so seriously even though his films from the last 10 or so years have left a lot to be desired.

January 22, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Thanks Russell! It’s clear that everyone favors his older movies, which of course is not very surprising :)

January 24, 2012 at 11:58 am
  • Lesya says:

Now this is hard. Taxi Driver. Godfather Part II. Casino.

February 3, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Great choices Lesya!

February 6, 2012 at 10:58 am
  • Mark Walker says:

Hands down, the best actor to ever grace the screen in my opinion. Never all the iconic characters he’s played, DeNiro himself is an icon. Can’t argue with his performances in Raging Bull, Taxi Driver and Godfather 2 but his smaller roles in Jackie Brown and Midnight Run also deserve mention. It’s too hard to pick a favourite. The Man’s a legend.

August 13, 2012 at 11:20 am

I’m not sure I would give him that title, although he’s one of the best.

August 21, 2012 at 4:51 pm
  • jm says:

I’ve seen all of his movies and i keep on watchin ‘em over and over again but my most viewed De Niro movie would be the godfather II , i named my son Don Corleone coz of that and nicknamed him Niro. my top 10 favorites are Taxi Driver, Once Upon A Time in America, Raging Bull, Awakenings, The Fan, King Of Comedy, Cape Fear, Casino, City By The Sea, Meet The Parents, Good Fellas, Showtime… well i guess all of his movies are my favorites. The Actors’s Actor, known for his Method acting, I instantly became a big fan when i first saw him on a movie when i was 20 and i even forgot what movie was that, now i’m 34.

January 23, 2013 at 12:57 am

Wow, that’s some dedication! What’s your opinion on the type of roles he’s been doing during the last 10 years? I have to admit he was back in form for Silver Linings Playbook and the movie in which he plays a writer (can’t remember the name at the moment)?

January 23, 2013 at 7:37 am