The Many Faces of… Leonardo DiCaprio

Overview of the roles Leonardo DiCaprio played

It’s Friday Faces time with this week’s star Leonardo DiCaprio. He was born in 1974 and started out doing commercials and moved on to TV shows, appearing in Parenthood, The New Lassie, Growing Pains and Roseanne. He made the step to movies in 1993′s Critters 3 and Robert De Niro (whose many faces you can check out here) picked him to star in This Boy’s Life. He received an Oscar nomination for his role in What’s Eating Gilbert Grape. His big breakthrough came when he was the lead in Titanic. He has worked with several well-known directors like Martin Scorcese, Steven Spielberg, James Cameron, Christopher Nolan and Danny Boyle.

An overview of the roles of Leonardo DiCaprio

As for my favorite role it’s a tie between him playing a conman in Catch Me If You Can and the undercover agent in The Departed.

What’s your favorite Leonardo DiCaprio role?

Check out other entries in this series here

I thought he was excellent in What’s Eating Gilbert Grape and The Basketball Diaries – amazing performances from his early career. He’s grown into a really amazing actor. I thought he was fantastic as Cobb in Inception and in The Departed. Oh and Howard Hughes in The Aviator. Definitely my favourite ones.Ahh… forget about Revolutionary Road, strong performance there too!

February 3, 2012 at 11:32 am

Haven’t seen his earlier movies, but looking at awards he got then they are worth checking out. He’s an actor I will see in almost any movie though. Still have to watch Revolutionary Road, had the DVD for at least a year.

February 3, 2012 at 4:18 pm
  • Scott Lawlor says:

As you know Nostra, Leo is just not an actor i am on board with.

I don’t know why though as he is a great talent that everyone seems to love…. I am on my own with this one

February 3, 2012 at 11:37 am

Last week Kevin Bacon and now Leonardo DiCaprio. Any other actors/actresses you don’t like Scott? You know I have a couple as well…

February 3, 2012 at 4:19 pm
  • Lesya says:

He is one of the most talented actors alive, hands down. I saw almost every major film of his, and it’s so hard to choose his best performance. Judging his roles, I think What’s Eating Gilbert Grape part is sensational but he is consistently great in every movies he’s involved in and I could name here at least half of his films.

February 3, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Thanks for commenting Lesya!

February 3, 2012 at 4:20 pm
  • VictorsMovieReviews says:

I’ve been a big Leo fan for a while.

Aside from his talent I love the fact that he pudges-up a little between movies and slims down for them.

February 3, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Yeah, I’ve noticed that his physical appearance does seem to change a bit between movies.

February 3, 2012 at 4:21 pm
  • Beta says:

I agree with you, he was really great in Catch Me If You Can!
    Could you do one of Kirsten Dunst, please? she’s one of my favorite actresses.

February 3, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I’ve added her to my list of actors/actresses that I plan to do one on in the future. Thanks for commenting!

February 6, 2012 at 10:44 am
  • The Blog of Big Ideas says:

I totally agree with your picks, although I would say his role in The Departed might have demanded a bit more range than Catch me if you can.

I wish I had thought of this series of posts myself.

Niels

February 4, 2012 at 1:33 am

Well Niels, there are still tons of great series to make up. Cinema is so big, just do a little brainstorm session! :)

February 6, 2012 at 10:45 am
  • Matt Stewart says:

Despite being a little to pretty boy-ish fr my taste, Leo sure can act. My favorite performance is probably Blood Diamond, and Shutter Island is up there as well. Should have earned an Oscar nod IMO. The two you mentioned are great as well, love the Departed and Catch Me If You Can. I am sure he is good in J. Edgar as well…

Oh, and we mustn’t forget Titanic ;)

February 4, 2012 at 10:04 am

Yeah, but quite a lot of other actors have that look as well, it’s something that sells tickets.
      Like you probably know I fell asleep at the cinema during Shutter Island, so can’t comment on his performance there :)

Hmmm…I don’t remember too much about Titanic and never rewatched (nor am I planning to anytime soon)

February 6, 2012 at 10:47 am

Basketball Diaries, Romeo and Juliet and The Departed. DiCaprio is great in everything and though I love Titanic, Dicaprio got the worst dialogue and as a result isn’t brilliant. Same with The Beach.

February 4, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Still have to see Basketball Diaries, but also thought he was great in Romeo and Juliet.

February 6, 2012 at 10:48 am
  • rtm says:

I’m not a big fan of Leo anymore but I do think he’s a good actor. Plus I give him props for rising about his matinee-idol hype surrounding Titanic and he doesn’t seem to capitalize on his boyish good looks in choosing his roles.

February 6, 2012 at 5:49 am

Why has he lost a bit of his appeal to you Ruth?

February 6, 2012 at 10:48 am
      • rtm says:

I don’t know, I guess maybe overexposure?? I tend to dislike actors who suddenly became super famous for some reason. I tend to like ‘em more when they’re still somewhat obscure.

February 15, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I see, you don’t want actors all for yourself! ;)

February 16, 2012 at 9:56 am
  • Claire Packer says:

Leo, Leo, Leo, I’ve long been a fan of his :D

I think I’ll go along with you and say Catch Me If You Can. It’s a great story and DiCaprio has the charm and charisma to pull off being Frank Abagnale.

February 7, 2012 at 12:22 am

Thanks for commenting Claire, nice to see someone else enjoying his role in that!

February 7, 2012 at 11:21 pm
  • thethrussellproject says:

Probably one of my favourite actors, his record of films over the past decade is impressive – Gangs of New York, The Aviator, the Departed, Blood Diamond, Shutter Island, Inception, Catch Me If You Can… All great movies

February 7, 2012 at 8:42 am

Nice to hear and he has been in lots of great movies!

February 7, 2012 at 11:21 pm
  • Dan says:

I never used to like Leo but ever since The Departed I’ve reevaluated my opinion of him. Now I think he’s one of the best actors working in Hollywood but he has got better with age.

February 7, 2012 at 7:04 pm

I’ve liked him a bit longer and I agree that he’s one of the best actors in Hollywood atm.

February 7, 2012 at 11:23 pm
  • Amy says:

Big fan of Leo’s work, and not just because I spent some of my teenage years suffering from a major crush. I love his earlier work, Gilbert Grape is great, and Catch Me If You Can is one of my favourite films. He’s such a versatile actor, and really does have an impressive back catalogue.

February 11, 2012 at 12:33 am

Yeah, he’s grown beyond his pretty boy status and shown he’s versatile indeed!

February 11, 2012 at 4:27 pm