The Many Faces of… Johnny Depp

Overview of the roles of Johnny Depp

Welcome to a new installment of “The Many Faces of”, this week starring one of the highest paid actors in the world, Johnny Depp. He was born in 1963 and his family moved around a bit. Because of family troubles he used to harm himself, resulting in various scars across his body. In his teens he played guitar in various small bands and he dropped out of high school to start a music career. He married in 1983 and his wife, who was a makeup artist, introduced him to Nicolas Cage who told him he should try his hand in acting. The marriage didn’t last long. His breakthrough came in 1987 when he starred in the television series 21 Jump Street and girls all around the world idolised him. Wanting to break away from being pushed as an idol he decided to only do movies he was interested in. He has starred in an eclectic selection of movies and has a long term collaboration with director Tim Burton. An overview of his many roles (as usual) after the break.

He has had a lot of great roles, but my favorite has to be his character Raoul Duke in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

What’s your favorite Johnny Depp role?

Related articles:

I’m a fan of Depp. He’s done some brilliant work, alongside some questionable stuff, The Tourist – I’m looking at you. You gotta love Capt. Jack – even though, he’s perhaps not as genius as he felt when he was first introduced to us. I’m always captivated by Edward Scissor Hands.

March 2, 2012 at 11:50 am

I skipped The Tourist and I’m planning to keep it that way ;) Only saw the first 2 pirates movies after which I decided to give up on it. Not really planning to see other parts…

March 2, 2012 at 4:12 pm

It’s all about Ed Scissorhands, and Fear and Loathing. Love those films and those roles. Love a bit of Capn Jack but got sick of it after the second POTC movie!

March 2, 2012 at 7:31 pm

I still have not seen Scissorhands Pete, but I guess it’s one you have to see?

As for people getting sick of POTC after the second one, looking at this week’s Monday Question you are not the only one that feels that way!

March 5, 2012 at 9:38 pm
  • rodders says:

Captain Jack is a brilliant role of his, but my favourite has to be Sweeney Todd, plus, what a voice!

March 2, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Still have not seen Sweeney Todd, but I’m interested to find out what it’s like

March 5, 2012 at 9:39 pm

My favorite Depp role is by far Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas. He did such a great job capturing Hunter S. Thompson’s paranoid behavior.

March 3, 2012 at 12:29 am

Yeah, no surprise though knowing how close he was to the guy.

March 5, 2012 at 9:39 pm
  • Castor says:

I never was the biggest Depp fan to be honest. I guess my favorite character of his would be Jack Sparrow just because of what he was able to create by himself and basically shoulder an entire franchise with his charisma.

March 4, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Even though you might not be the biggest fan, you can’t deny that he is an actor that is capable of playing anything.

March 5, 2012 at 9:40 pm
  • Dan says:

The guy is a chameleon! What a fantastic actor.

March 5, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Yeah Dan, agree with you!

March 5, 2012 at 9:40 pm
  • rtm says:

Great choice, Nostra. Depp definitely is a man w/ a thousand faces. I love that he likes to look quite different for his roles, he rarely capitalize on his good looks like a lot of handsome actors.

March 6, 2012 at 5:01 am

That’s true, he just seems to go for interesting roles, no matter what the role requires from his appearance…

March 8, 2012 at 10:18 am
  • The Focused Filmographer says:

Depp was better in his earlier years IMO. His characters since Jack Sparrow often seem to be the same. Cpt. Jack Sparrow was his best and all others since are just a type of Sparrow. Not the biggest fan of his anymore.

March 7, 2012 at 6:09 am

Interesting thought T. I do think he’s been playing a lot of weird characters, but that is something he has been doing for a while…

March 8, 2012 at 10:18 am
  • thethrussellproject says:

again I really enjoy these posts, keep it up! One of my favourite Blogs!

March 8, 2012 at 9:41 am

You are very kind! Am planning to keep these up as long as I can so you will be able to enjoy more of them :)

March 8, 2012 at 10:20 am
  • samcruz12345 says:

Reblogged this on samcruz12345.

March 12, 2012 at 11:56 pm
  • benwhite299 says:

I can see what you mean now. Looking at all these roles I can see a good mix. Jack Sparrow onwards though and you can see a pattern of less “normal” roles in my opinion. As for my favourite role, probably Jack Sparrow. I still can’t understand the lack of any recognition for The Tourist though, I really didn’t think it was that bad.

April 5, 2012 at 5:11 pm