Comic-Con Episode Four: A Fan’s Hope (2011)

review

If you are into comics, video games or movies (since you are reading this chances are pretty good it’s at least one out of three) you have probably heard of the Comic-Con. It’s the yearly convention in which fans of any of these come together to get the latest info, buy new things or dress up as their favorite characters. You could say it is a convention of geeks, but the forms of entertainment that rule the world now are widely consumed and it’s normal to be a big fan of something. This new documentary by Morgan Spurlock looks into the convention and the people who visit it.

Firstly let me get out of the way that if you are not a fan of Morgan Spurlock you too can watch this documentary. He directed it, but does not appear in the film once nor does he narrate anything. It’s a documentary that consists of footage shot on the floor and a lot of talking heads, some of them well-known, like Joss Whedon, Kevin Smith, Seth Rogen and Seth Green.

It has several stories. Two are about artists who draw comics and want to make it in the business. One is about a costume designer building suits that are the same as the ones used in the video game Mass Effect and one about a collector wanting to get his hands on the latest action figure. Then there is the couple who go together to the Comic-Con and where the guy wants to propose to his girlfriend. And finally one about a comic book salesman who is contemplating selling one of the rarest comics in the world for an amount you would not believe.

It’s a lot of different stories, but the documentary does manage to show them in a way in which they are easy to follow. Of course with so many people being followed the depth of the stories suffers a bit. The story about the toy collector was the weakest and could have gone deeper into the effect of his collecting on his relationship for example.

review

In the end though I have to say that I really enjoyed watching this. If you have got some geek genes in you, you will have a great time watching this. It’s a celebration of the convention showing the experience and the effect it has on the people followed. It offers funny things, but also manage to touch your emotions. I really liked the fact that it was released immediately on video on demand and is available through iTunes.

Score: 8

Category: Documentary, Movies

Interesting that Spurlock decided to stay off screen in this one. sounds great , really looking forward to seeing it.

April 18, 2012 at 10:57 am

Might have something to do with the fact that there were so many stories they followed. They probably had several camera teams. In the ones he does appear in the focus is usually on him trying to find out something and that doesn’t work here. It’s really about these people and their experience.

I thought it was great to be able to watch it immediately on demand as usually it takes ages before you able to watch things like this.

April 18, 2012 at 11:00 am

I think I am going to have to check this out… Looks like it might Geek me out a little though!

April 18, 2012 at 11:08 am

Hahah, I think it will and it wouldn’t suprise me if you will be attending the next one ;)

April 18, 2012 at 3:59 pm
  • keith7198 says:

I’m a movie guy, an old-school comics guy, and to some degree a video game guy so this is a doc I was hoping to see this weekend. Glad to see it should be worth the time!

April 18, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I’m pretty sure you’ll love it then. It really is a feel good documentary, so great weekend watching!

April 18, 2012 at 4:00 pm
  • Amy Moss says:

Nice review Nostra! I love Morgan Spurlock’s documentaries so I’m looking forward to this one.

April 18, 2012 at 7:48 pm

It’s a very entertaining one, so I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

April 19, 2012 at 9:31 am
  • rtm says:

As I was just at Comic-con a couple of years ago, I’m curious to see this. Have you ever been Nostra? It’s really crazy, definitely something to experience once in your life. I can’t do it every year though, it’s just too much for me.

April 18, 2012 at 8:41 pm

No, I’ve never been, but looking at all the queues I don’t know if I’d be able to cope with it. Although it does look like a fun experience.

April 19, 2012 at 9:32 am

Very cool. I have never been to a Comic convention, but I have friends that absolutely love them. Maybe someday I’ll go, but they aren’t typically my cup of tea. Sounds like a fun documentary though.

April 19, 2012 at 6:15 am

I don’t know if they’d keep me interested long enough…

The documentary is very entertaining.

April 19, 2012 at 9:32 am

Desperately wanting to watch the film. Good to know its worth it

April 29, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Me too, so it was a very nice surprise it was available through iTunes so quickly.

April 30, 2012 at 4:00 pm