The Many Faces of… Dwayne Johnson

overview roles Dwayne Johnson The Rock

Dwayne Johnson was born on May 2, 1972 in Hayward, California. When he was growing up he lived in New Zealand for a short period, but also in Honolulu, Hawaii and Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. In high school he played football and also competed in track and field and wrestling teams. His football skills got noticed and he received a full scholarship from the University of Miami and became part of the national championship team, the Miami Hurricanes. He graduated in 1995 and has a degree in physiology and criminology. He continued playing football for a while. Some of his family members were professional wrestlers and he also wanted to become one and started fighting in the WWF in 1996. He became known as The Rock and still enters the ring on a regular basis. He also started a movie career, first appearing in TV shows like Star Trek: Voyager and That 70′s Show. His first appearance in movies was in The Mummy Returns as a small character, but his popularity and succes of the movie earned him a leading role in The Scorpion King. He continued his career and starred in both action movies and more family oriented Disney movies.

Overview roles

Dwayne Johnson is an actor I really enjoy watching, even in his comedic roles (he was great in Be Cool). My favorite role though has to be in the last Fast and Furious movie. He has an extremely menacing presence in it and was fun to watch in his fight against Vin Diesel.

What’s your favorite Dwayne Johnson role?

Southland Tales!

June 29, 2012 at 8:39 am

Nice pic, it’s a movie I quite liked. Need to rewatch that again…

July 2, 2012 at 11:58 am
  • Emil says:

I thought he was really funny in Be Cool, and had some good chemistry with Vince Vaughn. That would probably be my pick, though I haven’t been keeping up with his films in recent years. They rarely interest me much.

June 29, 2012 at 9:19 am

He really was fun in Be Cool, he knows how to light up the screen. Can understand you might not be interested in his movies.

July 2, 2012 at 12:00 pm

The Rock, sorry Dwayne is slowly turnig into my guilty pleasure… not many people can rock a tutu and get away with it, then be a hard bad ass in their next film….

June 29, 2012 at 9:37 am

He manages to do it and I don’t really mind :)

July 2, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Oh my gosh! I remember him in Star Trek! Everyone was making such a big deal about him facing off with Seven of Nine.

Like Scott, he’s a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. He’s really got some sort of onscreen magnetism in every role he’s played. Definitely one of the more credible wrestlers turned actors.

Loved his role in Fast Five – The Rock vs. Vin Diesel was great!

June 29, 2012 at 10:39 am

I didn’t see that Star Trek show, but it was interesting to find out. To me he’s not a guilty pleasure, I really like his work, even though not all the movies might be stunning.

He was the best thing in Fast Five to me :)

July 2, 2012 at 12:02 pm
  • The Focused Filmographer says:

I agree with Jaina! I really loved his part in Fast Five. Perhaps one of my absolute faves of his. Great choice today!!

July 1, 2012 at 4:22 am

Thanks T!

July 2, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I don’t always like his movies but Dwayne is such a beautiful, charismatic guy. I LOVE watching his interviews, it’s hard not to like him. I might rent Fast Five just to see him.

July 2, 2012 at 4:50 am

I read he learned a lot in school about the best way in doing interviews, which obviously has paid of. Give Fast Five a shot, really interested to know your thoughts on it.

July 2, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I never expected The Rock to have a long film career, but he has proved me wrong. It’s great to see him doing well.

July 3, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I’m happy he did manage to have a long film career.

July 5, 2012 at 10:54 am