The Monday Question: Parents!

It’s been a hectic weekend for me, making sure that my daughter’s first birthday went smoothly. Have to say that my first year as a father has been amazing. Just unbelievable how quickly children grow!

It got me thinking about the way you influence what children will like as they grow up. It made me wonder about my own parents and my love for movies, which resulted in the following Monday Question:

In which way did your parents influence your love for movies?

I have to say that I can’t remember watching tons of movies growing up. I remember going to the cinema with my parents, but it was not something we often did. I saw some movies each year on TV (around Christmas), but they don’t really watch movies. So I think that for me it was a bit later until my love for movies grew.

In which way did your parents influence your love for movies?

• VictorsMovieReviews says:

I have no problems watching films from the extreme sides of a large movie theatre. Growing-up I would sit in the side seats of the theatre in the smoking section. This is during the time of Wometco 3 where you had a large center section and two side sections with a capacity of 750.

July 2, 2012 at 4:48 am

I really don’t like sitting in the sides. But as for this week’s questions, did your parents influence your love for movies?

July 2, 2012 at 1:43 pm

My dad was a screenwriter/director in my homeland back in the 60s & 70s before I was born but since my parents split up, he never influenced me in any way. It was my mother who instilled my love for movies when she brought homes some classic movies from her European holiday. I probably got the love for writing from my dad though.

July 2, 2012 at 4:52 am

Must have been really special watching movie you know your mother brought back all the way from Europe. They must have felt like little treasures to you :)

July 2, 2012 at 1:44 pm
  • Bondo says:

If my parents influenced my taste for movies, it was through inversion. My dad loves classic epics and mainstream schlock action/comedy while my mom tends to like overly sentimental dramas. I’m not really big on either of those.

July 2, 2012 at 4:53 am

That’s the rebel in you I guess ;)

July 2, 2012 at 1:45 pm

My parents used the local video store to keep me entertained while they worked all day every day. They would let me get this deal each week where you got 7 videos to rent for 7 days for $7. That was amazing! Videos were my babysitter. Also my Mum got me into a stage school which ended up with me going on my first film set at age 6. That was the beginning of my fascination with movie making.

July 2, 2012 at 8:57 am

You turned out alright from all those movies babysitting you ;) Interesting story…

July 2, 2012 at 1:47 pm
  • Ruth says:

My parents aren’t really huge cinephiles, but my Dad loves Star Wars. It’s one of the first films I ever remember watching, and I was obsessed with Han Solo and Luke Skywalker. I’ve always had a love for classic sci-fi, and I like to thank my Dad for that (Dad for Star Wars, Mum for Star Trek, haha).
    I also never really watched the ‘Disney princess’ films growing up. Mum turned me into a Tomboy with films like Peter Pan and Brave Little Toaster (almost no one has heard of that though, haha)

July 2, 2012 at 9:10 am

But it is clear they made you a sci-fi fan! I still have to see what I will show my daughter when she gets older. Currently she does like watching Elmo.

July 2, 2012 at 1:48 pm

It has been a year already? Wow time flies!!

My parents had no influence on my love of film at all. I can’t watch a movie with my mum as she is super squeemish and asks questions all the time.

My Dad was a tool that I would rather not talk about.

July 2, 2012 at 9:58 am

Yeah, I remember you being a bit angry I was blogging the day she was born (even though it was a scheduled post) ;) We had a great birthday yesterday, it was perfect with everything running smoothly, everyone enjoying themselves.

So you discovered movies on your own, I think my friends have had a bigger influence on my movie watching when I was younger.

July 2, 2012 at 1:50 pm
  • Chris says:

Impressive you can find time to blog and have a 1-year-old!

I answered the question in my recent 100 movie facts:My dad introduced me to 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Bridge on the River Kwai, The Sting, and Sophie’s Choice. So I think these movies have a special place in my heart(more so than if I found them myself)

July 2, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Well, it’s not that hard to make time for both. I usually prepare all my blog posts on Sunday evening and I have the luxury that my daughter goes to bed around 20:00 and sleeps till the next morning, making sure I can get enough rest as well. Of course having an amazing girlfriend helps as well ;)

Your dad did do his best to show you great movies. Except for Sophie’s Choice I’ve seen all of them (don’t like 2001).

July 2, 2012 at 3:21 pm
  • AndyWatchesMovies says:

I don’t really know how my dad’s film influence began, but several years ago when we started discussing movies regularly it was shocking at how much we had in common with them. He is the reason I started my site, actually.

July 2, 2012 at 10:02 pm

That’s interesting to read. So does he also read your site?

July 5, 2012 at 10:49 am
      • AndyWatchesMovies says:

Unfortunately, no. He passed away in January so I started my blog as a way to continue those conversations about films.

July 5, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Sorry to hear that. Great way to continue talking about film.

July 5, 2012 at 3:41 pm
  • Emil says:

I don’t think I’m influenced by my parents to any great degrees. My love for film only started a few years ago, and they had pretty much nothing to do with it. I will say that The Blues Brothers being a big favorite of mine probably has something to do with my dad always making sure to have it on whenever it was on TV. He’s a big fan of that one, and I have been too for as long as I can remember.

July 2, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I will have to admit (and hang my head in shame) that I never watched The Blues Brothers.

July 5, 2012 at 10:49 am
  • Kristen says:

My mom is often condemned by friends and family for having a lax rating policy. Because I was able to tell movies were fake early on she didn’t mind letting me watch R-rated films as long as the sex wasn’t explicit (violence she had no problem with lol). I think the only movies I was banned from watching were Chasing Amy (which I couldn’t watch till I was 14) and Pulp Fiction (which I didn’t watch till I was 16).

July 3, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Interesting :) So you were watching some adult movies when you were younger….

July 5, 2012 at 10:51 am
  • Tim The Film Guy says:

My dad is responsible for me loving science fiction films and for that I owe him a lot :)
    Although he did show me alien when i was 11 so not a very age responsible father but i am not complaining :D

July 5, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Wow, what was your reaction to seeing it at 11?

July 6, 2012 at 9:04 am
      • Tim The Film Guy says:

i loved it, but then again i was a weird kid :D

July 6, 2012 at 1:20 pm

So you were not frightened by it I guess ;)

July 6, 2012 at 1:24 pm
  • Haricharan says:

My dad persuaded me to watch many films. Not foreign though but several old, Hindi films :) But, I think, in the future, I’ll show my children some really good films.

July 11, 2012 at 7:49 am

It doesn’t matter which kind of movies, once you’ve got the bug of loving them it doesn’t seem to go away!

July 13, 2012 at 2:29 pm