The Many Faces of… Rosario Dawson

Overview of the roles and movies of actress Rosario Dawson

This week in “The Many Faces of…”, one of my favorite actresses, Rosario Dawson. She has an amazing screen presence and always seems like a cool person to hang around with.

Rosario Dawson was born on May 9, 1979 in New York. Her first TV appearance was a short one on Sesame Street. When she was young she wanted to become a marine biologist, but things turned out differently. She attended the Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute. She was discovered by Larry Clark while she was sitting on her porch and it landed her a role in the controversial movie Kids. She kept doing smaller movies, but slowly started appearing in bigger movies like Men in Black II, 25th Hour, Clerks II and many others.

Overview roles of Rosario Dawson

My favorite roles of her are in both 25th Hour and Clerks 2. In the latter one she seemed like a girl you could run into at any place.

What’s your favorite Rosario Dawson role?

• Anonymous says:

I’m expecting Peter Sellers next…

July 6, 2012 at 8:49 am

It’s a lot harder getting the images of older actors, so don’t expect this one soon.

July 6, 2012 at 9:03 am

Kids, Josie and the Pussycats and 25th Hour are the standouts for me.

July 6, 2012 at 9:05 am

Have not see Josie and the Pusscats, it sounds like a very silly movie…

July 6, 2012 at 1:25 pm
  • Lesya says:

My answer would be Sin City. My reaction to her role (a very memorable one, alongside others in this film) was simply… wow!

I haven’t seen the films that you picked as her best though.

July 6, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Yeah, she was good in Sin City! You should give 25th Hour a watch. Clerks 2 is more of an acquired taste. I you don’t like Kevin Smith it’s one you won’t enjoy.

July 6, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I love Rosario. One of the most beautiful actresses in the business today, and she is quite talented, too. My favorite roles are the same as yours, Nostra, as well as Death Proof.

July 6, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Yeah, she just has a natural beauty and doesn’t need makeup to look amazing.

July 13, 2012 at 2:18 pm
  • sati says:

Really loved her work in Sin City and The Guide to Recognizing your Saints. She was adorable in Clerks 2 as well.

July 6, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Yeah, remember her in Guide to Recognizing Your Saints even though I think it was a fairly small role.

July 13, 2012 at 2:19 pm
  • Alex Withrow says:

I agree that some of her best work is in 25th Hour. Really, how can you not love a lady named Naturelle Riviera? But my favorite performance of hers was in the criminally ignored Descent. That is one hell of a movie, right there. Some of the finest acting I’ve ever seen.

Great subject for this column of yours!

July 6, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Have to admit that I ignored Descent as well, but looking at the IMDB score it seems not a lot of people liked it. Thanks!

July 13, 2012 at 2:20 pm
  • Emil says:

I’m a big fan of Rosario Dawson. She pulls of both drama and comedy with ease, and has no problem going over-the-top when called for – her scenery-chewing bit part was one of few highlights of Percy Jackson, for instance.

As for favorite role, it’s a tough call. She’s great in 25th Hour, but she’s overshadowed by her co-stars to an extent. I’m going to go with Clerks 2, where she’s head and shoulders above the rest of the cast and even wrangles a really affecting scene or two out of Brian O’Halloran. They had some surprisingly good chemistry going on in that film.

Also, on a side-note, she’s one of the most gorgeous actresses out there.

July 7, 2012 at 9:50 am

Have not seen Percy Jackson, but knowing she’s in it I might watch it :)

Agree with her being gorgeous!

July 13, 2012 at 2:21 pm
      • Emil says:

I wouldn’t go out of my way to check out Percy Jackson. It’s not terrible, but outside of some fun hammy supporting turns (Dawson, Steve Coogan, Uma Thurman) there’s nothing to make it stand out. Your typical teen fantasy flick. Dawson’s screentime is quite limited.

July 13, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Ok, if I happen to come across it I will give it a spin, but won’t go looking for it ;)

July 16, 2012 at 12:57 pm

She’s so darn gorgeous, I mean she’s got the perfect face IMO. Plus she seems like a strong woman but also cool to hang out with, like you said. I haven’t seen too many movies of hers though, but she was memorable in Sin City and also in the underrated Shattered Glass.

July 9, 2012 at 4:01 pm