The Many Faces of… Cillian Murphy

Overview of the roles and movies of actor Cillian Murphy

So with the weekend about to start it is time to give you another installment of “The Many Faces of…”. This week’s choice is Cillian Murphy. He was born in Douglas in 1976. He went to a catholic school where he performed in a drama. It is something he really liked. He first tried to become a rock star as he played guitar. He later became interested in acting again and acted in a play at University College Cork. He started acting professionally in 1996 in a play called Disco Pigs. He started appearing in small movies in 1997 and also the BBC television miniseries The Way We Live Now. His first big movie was Danny Boyle’s 28 Days Later and this he appeared in Hollywood movies like Cold Mountain and GIrl with a Pearl Earring. With his role in the Batman movies as Dr. Jonathan Crane a wider audience noticed him (he originally was asked to audition for the role of Bruce Wayne).

overview roles Cillian Murphy

I will have to admit that I haven’t seen too many movies of him, so my choice for his role as Scarecrow as my favorite is an obvious one.

What’s your favorite Cillian Murphy role?

• VictorsMovieReviews says:

I tend to like him in anything, but I’ll go with “Red Eye”. Mostly because you don’t expect him to be a professional killer, and he does a great job with the role.

August 31, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I never saw Red Eye, but he doesn’t look like one indeed :)

August 31, 2012 at 4:32 pm
  • le0pard13 says:

Likely still Danny Boyle’s 28 Days Later. But he is great in the Nolan’s Batman trilogy and Wes Craven’s Red Eye.

August 31, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Because of the genre I never watched 28 Days Later….

August 31, 2012 at 4:32 pm
  • Novroz says:

that is TOO short Nostra ;)
    barely scratch the surface of his real tallent. His best role is in Breakfast in Pluto, none can defeat that. And his one man play won 2 theatre awards. He also nominated as best actor in 2 movies at the same time.
    …ups, sorry I better stop or I can turn this comment form into a blog-post ;)

do excuse this crazy Cillianiac!

August 31, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Well Novroz, I did ask you if you wanted to write for this one and you passed on it ;)

Hope you like the pictures though :)

August 31, 2012 at 4:33 pm
      • Novroz says:

Sorry…I don’t think I can ever do a guess post writing about the one actor I love the most ;)

I love it…you even included his short films.

August 31, 2012 at 7:47 pm
        • Novroz says:

I meant guest ;)

August 31, 2012 at 7:49 pm
    • Chris says:

I knew I’d find you here, Novroz :)

September 7, 2012 at 8:13 pm
      • Novroz says:

Hahaha…I am too predictable when it comes to Cillian ;)

September 8, 2012 at 8:02 pm
  • Julie says:

Well, he was definitely immense in Breakfast on Pluto, but I think he had another role with Oscar potential. Unfortunately no one saw Peacock…he was riveting. There are only a few young actors who can compare to Mr Murphy. Actually, I think only Michael Fassbender is in the same league.
    My favorite role…hard to tell. Kitten from BoP, for the sheer tenderness and joy he brings on screen…he’s not playing an transvestite, he’s playing a real woman. Robert Capa from Sunshine, for his strenght in spite of a fragile body. Thomas, from Misterman, which he brought on stage, for the physicality and the impressive vocal talent.

August 31, 2012 at 6:33 pm
    • Novroz says:

You saw Misterman?? I envy you sooo bad!! I wish I live in London :(

August 31, 2012 at 7:45 pm
      • Julie says:

Actually I live in Italy. Blessed be low cost flights because I couldn’t help jumping on a plane and going to London to see the play. My husband thought I was crazy. I even managed to speak to Cillian so now I can die a happy woman :) he’s very charming. People sometimes say he’s creepy. Well, he’s definitely not creepy. Kind, sweet and he looks really sharp, exactly my kind of guy…

August 31, 2012 at 8:24 pm
        • Novroz says:

You speak to him??? Now I am really envy!!
          yup you can die happy now ;)
          I wish I can see him too one day but it’s a very small chance because I am so far from London.

Well….I think only silly people think he is creepy…he is the most gorgeous man on planet for me. Love him so much. I even write monthly post special about him. Sadly, he is so underrated

August 31, 2012 at 11:57 pm
        • Julie says:

He is underrated by people who have not seen his movies and they think they know all after watching Red Eye and Batman Begins. He has done an impressive body of work for a 36-year-old and he’s very down to earth.

September 1, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Thanks for your comment, it’s clear you are a big fan of his work :)

September 6, 2012 at 9:05 am
  • vinnieh says:

Great post, I’ve always thought he has been a very underrated actor.

August 31, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Thanks vinnieh!

September 6, 2012 at 9:06 am
  • Josh says:

I’d pick his performance in On the Edge, but Scarecrow is a close second.

August 31, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I really should check out more of his work, because I have not seen On the Edge…

September 6, 2012 at 9:06 am
  • Tim The Film Guy says:

He looks evil, or at least scary weird :D

August 31, 2012 at 8:28 pm

You think so? Don’t have that feeling…

September 6, 2012 at 9:06 am
      • Tim The Film Guy says:

I think it’s a good thing because he can always play those characters well :D

September 6, 2012 at 1:37 pm
  • ilovethatfilm says:

Haven’t seen enough of this guy. He’s always excellent. Loved him in 28 Days Later and the Batman films. Probably haven’t seen his most interesting performances though. The Wind That Shakes the Barley is a powerful film.

September 4, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Also haven’t seen that movie, I should add some of his movies to my to watch list…

September 6, 2012 at 9:07 am