The Monday Question: Art/entertainment!

I recently was listening to the Operation Kino podcast as they were discussing the Sight & Sound’s Greatest 50 Films Ever Made. They very shortly touched upon greatest movies and favorite movies and that there is a difference between the two. It kind of came down to the fact that the greatest movies are usually considered art. It made me think about what movies mean to me and why I watch them. I can certainly enjoy something which is beautifully shot, but I wondered:

If you had to choose between labelling movies as art or entertainment, which one would you choose?

Of course movies can be both, but if I had to choose I would go for entertainment. There are often movies on those greatest lists which I really can’t enjoy at all. I can sometimes understand why they are loved, but I can honestly say that I wouldn’t have missed much if I hadn’t seen them. I watch movies to get away from everything and be entertained. It helps when something looks beautiful, but I would rather watch a low budget movie with a great story then a high budget art movie with hardly any story. So I would label movies as entertainment.

• youjivinmeturkey says:

That’s Tough, But I’m Going Say “Entertainment” Is What They Mainly Are. “Art”, In My Mind, Is A Type Of “Entertainment”, To BOTH The Person Doing The Watching/Experiencing AND The Person Creating.

September 10, 2012 at 8:45 am

That’s a very good way to put it and I guess I agree with that :)

September 18, 2012 at 9:19 am

Good question Nostra.

It is a hard one to answer as I believe they can be both. And sometimes at the same time!

September 10, 2012 at 9:52 am

Thanks Scott! Yeah, they can be both, but if you had to choose which one would you pick ;)

September 18, 2012 at 9:19 am

Pingback/Trackback

coolraed1212

• keith7198 says:

Intriguing question. For me they are entertainment. Of course they can be considered artistic but honestly I feel sometimes movies fall short because they are trying to be too artistic. I want to be entertained. Movies are a release – a place I go to be drawn in by being told a story. Can that be artistic? Sure it can. But I go to be entertained.

September 10, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Yeah, me too…it’s all about getting away from everything. I like it if it looks pretty, but sometimes big explosions can be pretty too and I don’t think anyone would call those art :)

September 18, 2012 at 9:20 am
  • fernandorafael says:

One of the tougher questions when it comes to film. I doubt we’ll ever reach a consensus but I think I’m gonna go with entertainment.

September 10, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I don’t think so either. But it’s like that with art as well…not all people consider the same things as art. Modern art is a good example of it.

September 18, 2012 at 9:21 am
  • ilovethatfilm says:

I don’t think we have to choose at all. Art can be entertaining and Entertainment can be art. However many, many movies clearly position themselves as one or the other. But hey even Transformers has teams of digital effects people creating artistic images if you ask me. And Terence Malick’s films can be beautiful creations but still more entertaining than Transformers.

September 10, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Of course we don’t have to choose, but it’s nice to force a choice and see in which way people lean :)

September 18, 2012 at 9:21 am
  • Tim The Film Guy says:

Entertainment, I am not an arty person but I love films :D

September 10, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Hear hear!

September 18, 2012 at 9:22 am

Interesting question, I never thought of labeling one vs the other. But I guess I’d go with entertainment as the real ‘artsy’ movies sometimes lost me. I guess I’m just not that sophisticated, ahah.

September 10, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I don’t think it has anything to do with being sophisticated, just about what you enjoy seeing.

September 18, 2012 at 9:22 am
  • AndyWatchesMovies says:

It depends on my mind…but all movies should be seen as entertainment first. Even art should be seen as entertaining, at least to me. Great question, though!

September 11, 2012 at 4:10 am

Yes, they should be entertaining and capture your attention. Thanks!

September 18, 2012 at 9:23 am
  • VictorsMovieReviews says:

Entertainment. Shakespeare’s play’s were made as entertainment; time turned them into art.

September 17, 2012 at 1:38 am