The Many Faces of… Ryan Gosling

Overview of the career and roles of actor Ryan Gosling

With the weekend about to start it’s time to take a look again at the career of an actor or actress, with this week’s choice for Ryan Gosling. He was born November 12, 1980 in London, Ontario. He didn’t like being a child and really didn’t have any friends until he was in his teens. He got in some trouble after watching First Blood and decided he would take stake knives to school and throw them at other kids. Luckily no one got hurt, but he was suspended. He had trouble reading and eventually was placed in a class for special-needs students. His mother also gave him home schooling.

As for acting, he started out as a mouseketeer and became close friends with Justin Timberlake. After his contract with Disney ended he appeared in several TV shows, including the adventure series Young Hercules. In 2000 he made the move to movies, appearing in Remember the Titans. It wasn’t until 2004 that people started really noticing him when he starred in The Notebook. Other notable performances are those in Half Nelson, Lars and the Real Girl, Blue Valentine, The Ides of March and Drive.

overview roles Ryan Gosling, career, movies

My favorite performances are the ones in The Ides of March and Drive.

What’s your favorite Ryan Gosling role?

Related articles:

• Nafees says:

:D

September 28, 2012 at 11:16 am
  • keith7198 says:

I’ve been sitting on the curb when it comes to Gosling. I’m still not certain about him but he is growing on me.

September 28, 2012 at 2:13 pm
  • ckckred says:

Though I’m not a big Ryan Gosling fan (though I do like him), he was amazing in Drive.

September 28, 2012 at 5:57 pm
  • fernandorafael says:

Ryan Gosling is pretty awesome. I think my favorite Gosling roles are in Lars and the Real Girl and Crazy, Stupid, Love.

September 28, 2012 at 6:34 pm
  • sati says:

Great post! I love his work in Ides of March, Drive and Lars and the Real Girl, but my favorite is definetly his performance in Blue Valentine.

September 28, 2012 at 7:15 pm
  • alleyandthemovies says:

Every film of his has been excellent, but I don’t have a favorite yet. I think the best is yet to come :)

September 28, 2012 at 8:26 pm
  • momto3feistykids says:

The first film I saw him in is Lars and the Real Girl, which holds a special place in my heart. That’s probably still my favorite. It’s pretty much neck-in-neck with Drive, though.

September 28, 2012 at 11:47 pm

I know a ton of people just love this guy but I really don’t see what the fuss about him, sorry. I think the less I say about him the better, ahah.

October 1, 2012 at 5:32 am
  • AndyWatchesMovies says:

The first time I REALLY found out that Ryan Gosling was awesome was in Lars and the Real Girl but my favorite role has to be for Drive.

October 1, 2012 at 6:40 pm
  • dbmoviesblog says:

In ‘Drive’ – no doubt about that. Gosling is really ‘himself’ there and he feels very comfortable, but from someone who was born in November I don’t expect anything else.

October 1, 2012 at 8:49 pm
  • Mark Walker says:

Great pic Nostra. Gosling is a superb actor. Any guy that can convince you that he is genuinely in live with a blow up doll must be doing something right. In Lars and The Real Girl he’s excellent and he thoroughly deserved his Oscar nom for Half Nelson. That’s an understated master class in addiction. Great actor and the one the most promising around right now.

October 1, 2012 at 10:41 pm
  • ilovethatfilm says:

The Believer and Lars and the Real Girl. Blue Valentine and Drive close behind.

October 2, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Aww, I remember him in Young Hercules! So tiny!

I think Drive was the first film where I was totally floored by his performance. Such a strong character who barely says anything. Amazing work there.

October 3, 2012 at 5:46 pm

My favorite Gosling performance is in Drive, but Half Nelson and Blue Valentine aren’t far behind. Still need to see Lars and the Real Girl.

October 3, 2012 at 11:43 pm
  • Pingback/Trackback

Who else likes Ryan? « camgal

• di says:

He needs to be cast as christian grey from shades. He has all the sides of Grey

October 17, 2013 at 3:36 am

I have not read the book, but I will take your word for it :)

October 17, 2013 at 9:25 am