The Monday Question: All of them!

The weekend is over and what a weekend it has been. Yesterday I visited the PAC festival, which previews 5 movies which will be out in the coming months over here. Movies that were played were Jagten, Amour, Perks of Being a Wallflower, Lawless and a mystery movie, which turned out to be Trouble with the Curve. When you spend the whole day at the cinema (only going out for food between movies) you got a lot of time to think about movies and I started wondering about seeing all movies of specific actors or directors:

Are there any directors or actors of whom you have seen each and every movie?

I’m sure there isn’t an actor of which I’ve seen each and every movie they have been in, but with directors it is possible, because the output is usually a lot less. I first thought about Quentin Tarantino and thought I’ve seen everything he has directed, but looking at his filmography it seems I still have to see Four Rooms and the ER episode he did.

I’m also pretty close when I look at Christopher Nolan’s movies. Only haven’t seen Doodlebug and the short movies he did for Cinema 16.

There is one director of whom I’ve seen each and every movie he directed. It’s Tarsem Singh (he only has 4 to his name, so it’s not that hard to do).

Are there any directors or actors of whom you have seen each and every movie?

• youjivinmeturkey says:

I’ve Seen Everything From Director “Stanley Kubrick” Though That’s Not Too Difficult, As He Didn’t Do A Ton Of Flicks.
    As For Actors, I’ve Seen Everything From Both Peter Sellers AND Burt Reynolds. I’m Still Working On Vincent Price :)

October 8, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Have seen quite a lot of Kubrick movies, but still way too many to go (especially the early movies), but I’m impressed to read you’ve seen everything from Peter Sellers and Burt Reynolds. What are your favorite movies of them?

October 8, 2012 at 1:24 pm
      • youjivinmeturkey says:

My Favorites With Peter Sellers, Are…
        “Dr. Strangelove”
        “The Pink Panther Strikes Again”
        and “Being There”.
        As For Burt, It’s…
        “Sharky’s Machine”
        “Deliverance”
        and “Stick” :)
        Oh… And My Favorite Musical Ever Is “The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas” Starring Burt & Dolly hahahaha

October 8, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Hmm, I don’t think I have any. Well, I’m with you on Nolan. And weirdly, I’ve seen every film that Chris Hemsworth has done! HA! That is some achievement ;)

October 8, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Interesting, I probably haven’t seen all of his movies, but since he hasn’t been acting that long chances are that I’ve seen a fair share of them.

October 8, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I’m with you and Jaina, Nolan’s the only director I’ve seen all of his work, but haven’t seen Doodlebug. I’m pretty close with Michael Mann, only 3 feature films of his I haven’t seen yet.

October 11, 2012 at 4:25 am
  • Emil says:

For directors, I’ve seen all feature films of David Fincher, Christopher Nolan, Quentin Tarantino (minus Four Rooms if that counts), and Jean-Pierre Jeunet. None of them have been conscious decisions; they just happened organically from my movie-watching.

As for actors, I don’t think I have a complete set of anyone noteworthy. The only two I’m actively working on are Jason Statham and Shannyn Sossamon, and I’m a couple of movies off from both of them.

October 8, 2012 at 1:42 pm

That’s an impressive number of directors. Some of them have happened organically as well for me, for other I want to see more of their work. I think I’ve seen a lot of Statham as well :)

October 9, 2012 at 2:15 pm
  • Mark Walker says:

I have seen all of Tarantino’s including his ER and CSI episodes. I’ve also seen all of The Coens including their segment in Paris J’taime and all of Wes Anderson’s. Shane Meadows is another one. Theres probably more but those ones jump out.

October 8, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Nice, so how is that ER episode, just as interesting as what he did for CSI?

October 9, 2012 at 2:15 pm
  • VictorsMovieReviews says:

Good question. I have tried, but both Directors and Actors get to a point where you can’t because they are taking jobs for the money and not the role. Case in point, Harrison Ford. If this was 1999 I could say yes, now I can’t.

October 8, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Understand what you are saying, seems like De Niro also followed that path.

October 9, 2012 at 2:16 pm
  • le0pard13 says:

Quentin Tarantino’s.

October 8, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Nice to see another Tarantino fan…

October 9, 2012 at 2:16 pm
  • Inspired Ground (@InspiredGround) says:

Only Cameron Crowe and Jason Reitman. Because my movie watching experience only running 2 years now, and both don’t have much movies. But, I can’t say I hate them. I actually love their work.

October 8, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Still that’s impressive that you decided to see all of their work.

October 9, 2012 at 2:16 pm
  • todayiwatchedamovie says:

I’ve officially seen all of Rian Johnson’s films. Not that big of an accomplishment, since it’s only 3.

I’m working on seeing every Nicolas Cage movie as well.

October 8, 2012 at 4:15 pm

:) Cage has quite a lot of movies. I’ve seen a lot of his, but I’m nowhere near all of them.

October 9, 2012 at 2:17 pm
  • jackdeth72 says:

Hi, Nostra and company:

Howard Hawks
    John Ford
    Stanley Kubrick
    The Coen Bothers
    John Dahl

Peter Sellers: Still think some of his best work was in a little know gem from the 1970s titled ‘Where Does It Hurt?”

Jeff Bridges: The most laid back and flat out comfortable in any role actor in the US today.

Robert Mitchum: America’s Tough Guy’s Tough Guy. Also surprisingly adept at comedy.

Christopher Walken: First caught my eye as a throwaway felon in ‘The Anderson Tapes’ and
    a hoofer in ‘Pennies From Heaven’. Consistently and solidly delivers in every role.

Frances McDormand: Always memorable in any role, no matter what size.

Helen Mirren: First caught my eye in ‘The Long Good Friday’. Haven’t found a reason to not love her since.

Ellen Barkin: Rocked out loud in Blake Edwards’ ‘Switch’ and ‘Johnny Handsome’. Not so much in recent roles.

October 8, 2012 at 4:34 pm

As always you impress me with your comment Jack :)

That’s a great list of some amazing actors and directors, from most of them I’ve seen quite a few films.

October 9, 2012 at 2:18 pm
  • Wednesday's Child says:

I’ve seen all of David Lynch’s films.

October 8, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Not a Lynch fan myself, but I can understand if you enjoy his work.

October 9, 2012 at 2:18 pm
  • keith7198 says:

The directed films of the Coen Brothers are the first that come to mind. Christopher Nolan as well.

October 8, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I’m probably pretty close to having seen al of them as well I think.

October 9, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Only two come to mind right away: Darren Aronofsky and Jason Reitman.

October 8, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Haven’t seen the earliest Aronofsky movies, but most of his movies I’ve seen. Reitman I’ve been watching since Juno

October 9, 2012 at 2:20 pm
  • Tim The Film Guy says:

No, I don’t think. :(

October 8, 2012 at 9:07 pm

There must be some where you are close :)

October 9, 2012 at 2:20 pm
      • Tim The Film Guy says:

Probably Christopher Nolan, because he hasn’t actually done that many films :D

October 9, 2012 at 6:54 pm
  • fernandorafael says:

Excluding shorts, I’ve seen all of Nolan’s movies. I only need to see the Alien movie he directed in order to have seen all of David Fincher’s films as well.

October 8, 2012 at 9:24 pm

That’s very close to having seen all the work by 2 directors. The Alien movie isn’t as good as the first one, but it has its charm.

October 9, 2012 at 2:20 pm
      • fernandorafael says:

I’ll try to check it out soon. How bad can it be? It’s David Fincher!

October 9, 2012 at 5:34 pm
  • Morgan R. Lewis says:

Other than one-film-wonders, I don’t think I’ve “completed” any actor or director’s filmography. I’ve sometimes seen every movie by a particular group — such as every Monty Python film, all three team-ups between Belushi and Aykroyd, etc — but for an individual actor or director, I’m still working on it, to the best of my recollection.

I’m getting close on Christopher Nolan, John Belushi, and Mel Brooks, though.

October 8, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Interesting that you did see those combinations :)

Are you planning on watching all of their work or aren’t you chasing it?

October 9, 2012 at 2:21 pm
      • Morgan R. Lewis says:

I’m planning to. I just haven’t gotten to it yet.

October 9, 2012 at 5:07 pm
  • ckckred says:

I can’t think of any off the top of my head though I’ve seen most of Kubrick’s movies.

October 8, 2012 at 11:07 pm

He has an impressive list of movies to his name, maybe not a big number, but a lot of quality.

October 9, 2012 at 2:22 pm
  • Margaret Perry says:

I have seen every Katharine Hepburn movies, several times, plus her documentaries. I’ve read most of her biographies, but a lot of them are not very good. My personal rating of all of her films can be found on my Katharine Hepburn blog:

October 8, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Impressive, I will have to admit I probably only saw one or two of her movies. If I would want to check out her best work which of her movies should I watch? Quickly scanning through your list it should be Little Women and Stage door?

October 9, 2012 at 2:23 pm
  • mistylayne says:

I’m very very close to having seen everything by Jan Svankmajer. :)

October 9, 2012 at 6:52 am

That’s impressive with so many movies. Have not seen anything, which should I check out?

October 9, 2012 at 2:25 pm
      • mistylayne says:

Oh wow, lol. Alice was the first I saw and it’s my absolute favorite. Faust was also good. Do NOT start with Little Otik. Actually here’s a link to youtube and his short Darkness, Light, Darkness (I love his shorts and he has a million of them): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuBwXfg3Mr4

I don’t think he’s really done anything that’s BAD but Little Otik felt like a compilation of a lot of his shorts that I’d already seen so it fell a little flat for me.

October 9, 2012 at 4:42 pm
  • Anonymous says:

David Lynch, every movie except the short

October 9, 2012 at 11:44 am
  • andyecahill says:

I’m in the same book with Tarantino, as much as I don’t want to sit through four rooms, I would have to in order to say I’ve seen “everything,” I’ve certainly seen all his feature length stuff.

October 9, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I bought Four Rooms a while ago very cheaply, but it turned out to be severely scratched, so I wasn’t able to watch it. Still have to track it down again.

October 12, 2012 at 8:07 am
  • Mark Walker says:

It was okay. There was a nice little reference to Reservoir Dogs where someone gets brought into the ER with their ear cut off but other than that I don’t remember much about it. If my memory serves, I was a little disappointed

October 9, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Will try to check it out eventually…

October 12, 2012 at 8:08 am
  • AndyWatchesMovies says:

Kubrick, Tarantino, Vigo…probably more
    I don’t know about actors though

October 9, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Thanks for commenting Andy

October 12, 2012 at 8:09 am
  • biochick says:

I’ve seen almost all of Marylin Monroe’s movies, she was my favorite actress when I was in junior high.

October 10, 2012 at 2:33 am

Nice, I have seen a couple of her movies, but there are tons I haven’t yet.

October 12, 2012 at 8:09 am
  • Dan says:

Alexander Payne…probably the best director in Hollywood for me…makes far too few films. Sideways, About Schmidt, The Descendants…all great. Haven’t seen Election in along while though.

October 12, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Although Sideways wasn’t a movie I enjoyed I really loved The Descendants, looking forward to see other work of his.

October 14, 2012 at 8:29 pm