• Beer Movie says:

Brilliant article. It is hard to make these kind of pieces informative without being bland, but you manage it well.

October 24, 2012 at 9:59 am

Thanks! Know what you mean, had to read long detailed history pieces myself to just pick out the interesting stuff for quick consumption :)

October 24, 2012 at 10:02 am
      • Beer Movie says:

Yeah that’s right. Keeping it short is so important. Even if it is really interestingly written, if it looks long when people open it up, they often won’t read it.

October 24, 2012 at 10:10 am
  • Mark Walker says:

I’ve learned something today Nostra. Nice one man.

October 24, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Nice. Planning to do some more of these again Mark, they are fun to do.

October 25, 2012 at 9:40 am
  • keith7198 says:

Very cool read!!! Good stuff!

October 24, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Thanks Keith!

October 25, 2012 at 9:40 am
  • vinnieh says:

Great article, very informative man keep up the amazing work.

October 24, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Thanks vinnieh, I will try my best to do so!

October 25, 2012 at 9:41 am
  • jackdeth72 says:

Excellent article, Nostra!

The RKO intro has always been a favorite of mine. Especially with Hawks’ ‘The Thing from Another World’.

October 24, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Thanks Jack. Have not seen that movie yet…

October 25, 2012 at 9:42 am

Yaaaaaaa… It’s back. One of my all time favourite series :-)

October 24, 2012 at 10:48 pm

I didn’t know that it was, but I will make a couple of more of these. They still are some of the most read articles on my blog and recently even Time Entertainment linked to one of them.

October 25, 2012 at 9:43 am
  • filmhipster says:

Love this post, great job.

October 25, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Thanks a lot!

October 27, 2012 at 11:41 am
  • AndyWatchesMovies says:

Very cool! Checking out the previous entries of this series now, I’m not sure if I’ve seen any of them

October 26, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Thanks Andy. I created the other quite a while ago, so it’s possible you weren’t around yet then. I saw that you checked them all out :) Thanks. Will have a new one the coming week.

October 27, 2012 at 11:42 am
  • fernandorafael says:

Very interesting. Thanks, Nostra!

October 27, 2012 at 5:35 am

Thanks Fernando

October 27, 2012 at 11:43 am
  • Daniel says:

Fascinating. I just watched an RKO picture, “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” (1939) starring Charles Laughton and Maureen O’Hara ! Great flick !!! Hard to believe (the always lovely) Maureen O’Hara is now 92 years old.

October 27, 2012 at 5:38 am

Have not seen that version, but sounds like an interesting one to check out. Thanks Daniel.

October 27, 2012 at 11:43 am
  • VerboCityMayor says:

ah, but who was the mastermind who put the deal together? None other than Joseph P. Kennedy. He bailed out and took over FBO in 1926. In 1927 he made a deal with “General” Sarnoff to use RCA/ GE Photophone to make talking pictures. Warner Brothers, Fox, Loews/ MGM, Paramount, 1st National and Universal all used Western Electric’s technology, so RCA was desperate to make a deal with any studio.
    Mid 1927 Kennedy bought KAO, a vaudeville circuit with 700 theatres (its flagship theater, the Keith Memorial, was in Kennedy’s hometown, Boston, and today is called the Boston Opera House) to ensure distribution of his pictures and build marketshare for Photophone. Next he bought Cecil B Demille’s company (PDC) and US operations of Pathé which included a studio, newsreel production and a roster contracted stars. In 1928 he tried to buy First National and make it a Photophone customer as well. When he failed RCA bought his FBO and KAO shares and formed RKO. Kennedy owned a piece of the company, but was not an officer. He kept ownership Pathé for another year or two until RKO bought him out. He made barrels of money in Hollywood, and had an affair with Gloria Swanson. His next move was into liquor distribution.

November 5, 2012 at 12:31 am

Yeah, I read that he was involved, but decided to leave bits out in my description. It’s amazing how much power the Kennedys had…

November 5, 2012 at 8:48 am