A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies (1995)

Since I started the “Story Behind” series I’ve wanted to know more about the history of film. As you know watch older movies regularly, but haven’t really looked into specific time periods or genres. In this documentary Martin Scorcese takes the viewer on a journey showing his love for film. Should you join him on a 225 minute journey?

Once you start watching this you’ll quickly find out that Scorcese is passionate about movies (I wouldn’t be surprised if some would call him a film nerd). At the start he makes clear that this is a personal journey and you hear stories of him growing up and his experiences of watching movies. He goes into his favorite genres, westerns, musicals and of course the gangster movies. He tells about the directors he admires and sometimes meticulously looks at scenes or specific shots even from movies that are not considered classics. It’s clear that all the movies he showed had a profound impact on him and the way he made his own films.

Even though this is a long documentary I could have watched more of it as Scorcese talks with so much passion and knowledge that you just want to learn more. So if you want to know more about the history of cinema this is an excellent documentary to start with.

Score: 9

Category: Documentary, Movies
  • rwhyan says:

Very nice, Scorsese is my favorite director because like you said, he’s so passionate about films and it really shows through his movies. His recent film Hugo shows this just as well as any of his other movies, its the perfect love letter to the classic films that started it all.

February 29, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I never really read much about him, but after having seen this it is obvious the guy is married to movies and completely in love. Still have to see Hugo and hope I’ll be able to do so while it is still in the cinemas…

March 2, 2012 at 4:09 pm
  • Rodney says:

Such an awesome director, and an extraordinary wealth of knowledge about film. I could watch and listen to Scorsese talk about films for days.

March 1, 2012 at 4:45 am

Yeah, he also did one about Italian movies which I might also check out…

March 2, 2012 at 4:11 pm
  • Jack Deth says:

Hi, Nostra and company:

Great topic, write-up, photos and link!

I remember watching years ago a PBS documentary/interview with Spielberg and Lucas, Titled ‘Marty Knows Movies’. Very well detailed and concise. Which only scratched the surface of Scorsese’s vast knowledge.

His ‘Personal Journey’ filled in many gaps quite nicely. Part one seemed the most entertaining. Part two gave me a new perspective on early directors and was quite pleased that Ida Lupino was prominently mentioned. Part three was a nice wrap up with Douglas Sirk, Nicholas Ray and Stanley Kubrick.

Good stuff all the way around!

March 1, 2012 at 9:21 am

Thanks Jack, seems like that I really have to try to find Marty Knows Movies then!

March 2, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Definitely need to watch this now. Also highly recommend The Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Editing if you haven’t already seen it. Great doc with all sorts of amazing editors and directors talking.

March 1, 2012 at 10:49 am

I really want to watch it, but I can’t seem to be able to buy it easily anywhere around here. Looked for it a while ago…

March 2, 2012 at 4:29 pm
  • Bloggers Be Crazy says:

Scorsese above every director truly loves film,he adores everything about them and just has a passion like no other

March 1, 2012 at 3:10 pm

It’s very contagious ;)

March 2, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I don’t think I’ve seen enough Scorsese. I mean that as something I should rectify. I’ve really enjoyed his more current work and would love to look back at some of his older films. He really is one of the best directors of our day.

March 1, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I still got a lot of his movies to watch as well Jaina, I’m taking my time to do so…

March 2, 2012 at 4:31 pm