The Many Faces of… Will Smith

Overview of the roles and movies of actor Will Smith

Welcome to a new installment of the “Friday Faces”, with this week’s choice, Will Smith. He was born on September 25 1968 in West Philadelphia and was raised there as well (which will come as not surprise if you are familiar with the lyrics of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme). He went to the Overbrook High School and was named Prince because of his charm. He received good grades, but was very interested in making music. Together with Jeffrey A. Townes he formed the group DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince and was very succesful with hits like “Parents Just Don’t Understand” and “Summertime”. He made a lot of money with his music, but spent so much and underpayed his taxes, which nearly meant bankruptcy.

Luckily NBC was interested in creating a show about a kid from Philadelphia who went to live with his family in Beverly Hills. “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” aired in 1990 and lasted six years. During this period he slowly started expanding his acting to movies as well, impressing with his role in Six Degrees of Separation. His big breakthrough though were his roles in Bad Boys and Independence Day and he has managed to stay in the spotlight, being one of the best paid actors around.

overview roles Will Smith

He has starred in a lot of entertaining movies, but when I have to pick my favorite role I choose his stunning performance in Seven Pounds (reviewed earlier this week). It was a performance which really impressed me and I think it’s his best role.

What’s your favorite Will Smith Role?

Related articles:

I’m a fan of Will Smith. Sorta big fan. I don’t know what it is. Sure some of his films aren’t the best. He has a tendency to do great films like Ali and then poor stuff like Hitch. Despite it all, I think he’s a brilliant actor. Favourite role? Tough one. Ali is one of his strongest roles. I love him as Mike Lowry in Bad Boys. But he’ll always be the Fresh Prince to me. I still know all the lyrics….

July 20, 2012 at 10:08 am

Even to the extended version?

I watch almost everything he’s in, so I do enjoy his work too, won’t consider myself a huge fan though ;)

July 20, 2012 at 10:17 am
  • ilovethatfilm says:

I wish he’d choose better roles. Shame he didn’t go for Django Unchained. He’ll always be the Fresh Prince to me but I also loved him in Ali.

July 20, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I think he didn’t do too badly as he has chosen roles that are fun (and usually in movies that earn a lot). Would have been interested to see what he would do in a Tarantino movie, shame he passed on it.

July 23, 2012 at 10:21 am

He always looks like Wil Smith to me :) I did like him in Independence Day & MIB, but I never thought of him as a great actor.

July 21, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Yeah, I’ve heard more people say that. But then again I have that with lots of actors.

July 23, 2012 at 10:23 am
  • Stephanie says:

I love your montage — Will Smith is a versatile actor. I tend to like him better in his “fun” roles than in dramatic roles, I guess his part in the MIB movies is my favorite.

July 21, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Thanks! I only liked the first MiB, haven’t seen the last one yet.

July 23, 2012 at 10:24 am
  • The Focused Filmographer says:

I enjoy Will Smith’s films. It’s hard for me to claim my favorite of his, but I do enjoy Enemy of the State, Independence Day, Hitch, and Pursuit of Happyness.

a great choice, Nostra! Wonderful!

July 22, 2012 at 11:31 pm

I usually enjoy them as well (although the one where he’s alone in New York I thought wasn’t that good).

Thanks T!

July 23, 2012 at 10:24 am
  • tajgreenemoviesinreview says:

I love this post! And I enjoy looking at all faces of Will Smith, so thank you for making my day! Lol…The first movie that had me take Will Smith as a serious actor was his role in Six Degrees of Seperation. I was so impressed with his performance in this film. I also enjoyed Seven Pounds. Most people didn’t get this movie, but I loved it and would also say this is one of his best performances. I love all of his action flicks too. The only movies I didn’t care for are Wild Wild West and Pursuit of Happyness…I know he received great reviews for his role in Happyness, but I honestly wasn’t a fan.

This was fun…Great post! :)

July 23, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Makes me happy to read how much you enjoyed this post!

Have not seen him in Six Degrees of Separation, guess I should. I only saw Seven Pounds for the first time two weeks ago and was blown away by it and absolutely love it (given it a 10/10, which I don’t do often). Have not seen WWW and PoH, but want to give both a chance even though I know of the reputation of WWW ;)

July 23, 2012 at 5:20 pm
      • tajgreenemoviesinreview says:

Six Degrees of Seperation was like his 1st real stab at acting coming from his tv show The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. If you enjoyed Seven Pounds, I think you will also find favor in Six Degrees of Seperation. When u get the chance to see it, I would be interested to see your thoughts. :)

July 23, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Will let you know once I’ve seen it

July 26, 2012 at 8:26 am
  • Lesya says:

Out of those that I’ve seen, The Pursuit of Happyness, hands down! :)

July 25, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Nice to see someone else who loves it :)

July 26, 2012 at 8:27 am

I’ve always enjoyed Will Smith as a comic-action hero. I still haven’t seen one of his serious roles, but from what I have seen I think Bad Boys deserves a nod. Also Six Degrees of Seperation is a brilliant performance by him.

July 29, 2012 at 4:30 am